From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 09:07:48 -0400
Hello all,

I am going to nudge the dialogue a bit on these important issues.

In Lise's excellent article, the issue that resonates for me is how to comprehensively evaluate how well we are doing in our system wide health promotion work, and in programs at an individual level. There is a tension between our vision to
reduce health inequities and improve population health, and our funded projects requirements to use indicators and measures of risk factor reduction.

We want our evaluation indicators and quality improvement plans to reflect our social determinants of health (SDOH) approach, and our vision and values.  While we have long term goals, getting there from the short-term outcomes of products, education and skills-building sessions, and community supports, seems to be unreachable. We spend considerable energy and resources on the activities and measures of the short-term outcomes to show we are active and productive. But the intermediate and longer term objectives of improved policies, practices, capacities, community engagement, social inclusion; that could provide evidence of effectiveness, become more elusive.

Perhaps it is a matter of perspective. If we take our logic models and evaluation plans and map them forwards from activities to outcomes to see that there is a path that shapes values, builds support of actions, provides information and advocates for policies, then the goals can become clearer. Backward mapping from our goals to our activities can help us see the conditions that should be necessary to achieve our long-term vision. We need to see the work we do in context of our broad organization, our communities and partners. And we should share our stories of what we are doing, struggling with, and our strategies for change.

What are you struggling with in your match of values with practice?  Let's keep the discussion going.

Alison Stirling,
Health Nexus / Nexus Santé
http://www.healthnexus.ca

Below I've highlighted some of the points that Lise made in the article about evaluation.