Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2009 22:12:36 -0400
8bit
From:
Alex Brink Effgen <[log in to unmask]>
Hello Twain Forum:

Before I ask my question, here's another report on the Mark Twain House
in Hartford. Two weeks ago I went to the Oktoberfest and came back with
a hearty recommendation. The same can be said about their new Graveyard
Shift Ghost Tour. Great material, different directions around the main
house, kitchen, and basement, with a retelling of the Golden Arm that
is not identical in Twain's manner but the nub of story still made its
victim scream (satisfactorily my mother-in-law).

The best part of the tour (that did not involve scaring my
mother-in-law) was seeing the interior of the house by "gaslight."
Entering the dining room you can feel the ambience of one of Twain's
gatherings. Same with the billiard room. And to go into the master
bedroom, the light by the bed with the pile of books and pipe, then to
look at the cherubs on the headboard...Good stuff.

Anyway, my question is this: what work has been done studying the
history of Twain in translation (besides the Madame Blanc translation
of Jumping Frog into French)? I'm most curious about Twain's work in
Russian, during his life and thereafter. Was his work interpreted
during the 20th century in words that better reflected the Communist
Manifesto?

Curiously Yours,
Alex Effgen