SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Larry Adelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 2009 22:42:26 -0800
Sorry for the late entry into this discussion.  Unless you're targeting an academic audience, I would discourage use of the term 'social determinants' in the title.  Yes, I know, there really are not any adequate popular alternatives. It took us months to come up with the name "Unnatural Causes: Is Inequality Making Us Sick?" for our documentary series (which, btw, you're welcome to use; Alameda County (CA) Public Health Dept, for example, issued a splendid report called "Life and Death from Unnatural Causes" http://www.acphd.org/user/services/AtoZ_PrgDtls.asp?PrgId=90 <http://www.acphd.org/user/services/AtoZ_PrgDtls.asp?PrgId=90>  ).

Other possibilities (each to be followed by a more explanatory subtitle) might include:

Closing the Gap

Hidden in Plain Sight

Towards A Healthier Canada

Diagnosing Canada

In Sickness and in Wealth

Hidden Epidemic

The Sick Society

What Makes Us Healthy or Sick?

The Great Divide

Inequality Kills

Body Politic

Body of Evidence

A Social Disease

Health for All

Healthy Connections

Vital Signs

What Doctors Don't Tell You

Secrets of Better Health

To Our Health!

The New Rx for Health

And on and on and on...

Many suggest that titles for publications / programs / campaigns for change should communicate a sense of possibility rather than alarm, impel not compel, be about "us" not "them."  Hope this helps.

Larry Adelman

CALIFORNIA NEWSREEL

500 Third Street, #505

San Francisco, CA 94107