From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 14:41:53 -0500
To:        Research Directors and Researchers of CLC Affiliated Unions
From:   Andrew Jackson
Re:       Work and Labour in Canada: Critical Issues
CSPI have just published the second edition of my book, Work and Labour in
Canada: Critical Issues.
While this is written mainly as a text for university level courses,
others may find it useful as a resource on a wide range of labour market
issues and trends, including the role of unions.
The book can be ordered from CSPI or online from Chapters (price: $36.26).
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Work-Labour-Canada-Critical-Issues-Andrew-Jackson/9781551303666-item.html?pticket=lq0fx3ii1poiwwimf5uj3eyeXNe9XMHpYKga5q0l%2bmBNLVe1j1c%3d
From the Publisher:
Now in its second edition, and with a new foreword by Wallace Clement,
this original and timely book focuses on critical issues surrounding work
and labour in Canada. It examines changes in the labour market and in the
workplace, with a strong empirical component based upon the most recent
Statistics Canada data. An ideal text for Sociology of Work, and a wide
range of courses in Labour Studies and Industrial Relations programs
across Canada. New to this edition:
All chapters substantially revised and thoroughly updated.
A discussion on the causes of the current economic crisis and its roots in
the labour market, including a special appendix.
More emphasis on the fortunes of racialized Canadian-born workers as
opposed to recent immigrants.
Brand new chapter on young workers.
Up-to-the-minute newspaper articles on the current global economic crisis.
Added material on occupational health and safety, emphasizing the
connection between work and health.
New material on workers? rights as well as non-standard and precarious
work.
From the Foreword by Wallace Clement:
Work life is fundamental to how we experience life in general. Most of us
work to live but many of us also live to work. We gain our quality of
life, identities, and much of our sense of meaning from our work lives.
And, the link between work life and family life and/or leisure and
education is also shaped by the quality of our work lives?our hours of
work, its rewards, self-esteem, and social interactions. It is important
to have a holistic view of work?that it is embedded in a series of
economic, political, social, and cultural forces. Equally important is
what we call ?work??whether for pay or not (volunteer, domestic work,
etc.)?and recognize that the essential reproduction of citizens through
care work is to be valued. How we understand work in terms of how we frame
it as a value for individuals and societies matters. Work does not just
happen. It is created, conditioned, and destroyed by the political economy
in which it is embedded.
For these reasons, it is important to acknowledge the contribution of
Andrew Jackson?s Work and Labour in Canada. It is a book designed to
inform and educate its readers. Clearly, he has done a great deal of
thinking about the right questions to ask and how to frame our
understanding. He offers fresh ways to think about changing times by
locating his analysis of Canada in a comparative context. At the base of
his analysis is his penetration of struggles over whose views and/or
interests prevail in the construction of work, such as his detailed
account of conflicts over the implications of the debate about social
spending versus tax cuts.
In solidary.
AJ:jc:cope 225