Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2008 13:28:13 -0400
7bit
From:
Carolyn Leutzinger Richey <[log in to unmask]>
Dan,

Thanks for the kind remarks.? And don't say you are a "mere" high school teacher.? I used to be one and find it much more difficult than college teaching.? Before I earned my MA, I was substitute teaching and I called it combat duty, especially in the junior highs.? For me, it was heaven to teach the university students.?

Regarding the twins and Twain, I wrote my Master's thesis on this (called it Extraordinary Twins) and have mainly looked at the idea of the boy characters being mirrored images of the two sides of the author.? And I do go into the fact that Thomas means twin, and you have Twain, etc.? In nearly all of his texts, Twain provides doubled characters, usually boys.? In my thesis I looked at Tom and Huck (and each of their books)as the prototypes and then I looked at Pudd'nhead Wilson, The Prince and the Pauper, and The Mysterious Stranger.? I also included some short stories.? I like your idea of the father figures.? When I teach Huck Finn, I always have the students explore Pap and Jim as father figures.? This ties in nicely with the race aspect and the verification of Jim's humanity and Pap's lack of humanity.?

Any way, I need to work on that review, which should be ready in a couple of weeks.? I also have some other reviews on the forum, mainly regarding children's lit.? I'd love for you to send me your paper.? I really am looking for sources to coroborate my ideas about Twain shaping the character(s) of the American boy.?

Carolyn