From:
Kit Barry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:03:38 -0500
It seems reasonable to deduct that if a person's image is used heavily
in advertising, that person had an impact on our culture prior to
the advertising.

As an ephemera collector, it is notable by a wide margin that Wilde is
pictured on 1880's advertising trade cards more than just about
any other single individual with a short list of exceptions.
Considering the frequency of his image is matching those of Washington,
Lincoln, and Grant in this time period, it is remarkable to me that
Wilde outstrips so many other people and he was just a foreign visitor
to the US twice.

What did this man do to create such a reaction in our country? Granted
there are some associations with Wilde that helped boost his
impact (Gilbert & Sullivan, and the Aesthetic Movement), but was there
more? If there was an association with Twain, that might be
part of the explanation to Wilde's impact in this country.

I would appreciate any information about Wilde in this country, in
general, or in reference to Twain.

Thank you,

Kit Barry