Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:50:45 -0700
I'm hoping you old-timers will be patient with me until I get over the
impulse to respond to
everything which I've found interesting.

Just want you to know that I've hnad wonderful experiences with college
professors (and now
that I'm older, some of my best friends are RETIRED professors!)

When I graduated from college I had no intention of taking those "mickey
mouse" courses which
California required (I thought) in order to get a teacher's credential.  But
after a couple of years
I suddenly decided dI was wrong to avoid teaching and started attending San
Francisco State part time.  (I was working at KQED at the time)  What I
found was that I enjoyed the required courses I took.  I was astonished.
One professor actually taught in a portable iron lung.  The first day he
remained silent until we were all seated then informed us that we would soon
forget that he
was immobile.  He was right.

I ended up getting my MA at Texas Western in El Paso (a branch of the
University of Texas)
The professors there were stimulating, encouraging, helpful and
interesting.  No complaints.  Just
very grateful and fond memories.

But I must also add, in connection with my adventures with Mark Twain, I've
had some
curious experiences with "experts."   I have to remind myself that they are
merely human and
not infallible.  This was a surprise to me.

I don't think I was among those who were scared of academics, but just
wanted to
reassure you that many of us recognize you all as fully human.

Regards, Arianne