From:
Steve Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:04:25 -0400
What would any Mark Twain book be without its flaws?

He was such a great writer but since he wasn't schooled in "how to write
the perfect 19th century novel" he almost never did.   He was bursting
with ideas and tended to put 'em all down on paper.  Many of his books
are uneven in tone, for example -- with some parts played for farce,
some for tragedy.

Sentence for sentence, I personally think he is as great a utilizer of
the English language as anyone I have ever encountered, dead or living.
But his novels typically aren't flawless.

Heck, AHF -- considered by so many his greatest work --  is arguably
flawed by all those lame chapters at the end when Tom Sawyer enters
stage center and turns Jim's freedom into one of his games.  Most
readers find those sections quite a literary let-down.

I honestly think one that one thing that attracts so many of us to
Twain's works is that they are not perfect literary "works" but are
living and breathing with the humanity of the author -- so often, one
quite literally gets the feeling of being in Mark Twain's company when
reading his works -- and somehow to me the flaws are part of that
ongoing conversation.

When you mention the Bing Crosby movie, by the way, this makes me
contemplate what an excellent movie could be made of Conn Yankee
nowadays -- by one of today's directors specializing in dark, ironic,
post-modern film-making -- in contrast to the upbeat song-filled 1949
Hollywood version!

-Steve Hoffman
Takoma Park MD