From:
Alex Effgen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 2010 11:18:59 -0500
I came across a letter MT wrote, held at the MTP, where he describes
to Livy a speech he gave at a dinner honoring Brander Matthews, where
MT took his name in vain.

(To the audience):

"You have spoken of him well, of him and lovingly and heartily, and
given him the praises which he has earned and which are his right.
But you have overlooked what I think is the most notable achievement
of his career--namely, that he has reconciled us to the sound of his
sombre and awful name--Bran-der Math-thews! his blighting and
scathing name--Brander Math-thews! his lurid and desolating
name--BRAN-der MATH-thews! B-r-r-rander Math-thews! Makes you think
of an imprisoned god of the underworld muttering imprecations and
maledictions. B-r-rander Mathews! It is full of rumblings and
thunderings and rebellions and blasphemies--B-r-rander Math-thews!
The first time you hear it you shrivel up and shudder; you say to
yourself that a person has no business using that kind of language
when children are present...You can curse a man's head off with that
name if you know how and where to put the emphases."

You'll want to look it up for accuracy and the entirety (To OLC, Dec
20 1893). I catch myself muttering "Brander Matthews" every now and
again (like when I get a last minute multi-media request from
faculty).

Good luck.

Alex

Mr. Alex B. Effgen, M.A.