From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:41:28 -0500
Alan's post reminded me of another possibility that Alan's modesty probably
kept him from mentioing...

Alan and I edited a Twain poem in 1983 (Mark Twain's Rubaiyat). At the time,
he and I thought we'd said everything that could ever be said about that
poem, but surely we overlooked something. The thing is 45 quatrains long, so
allowing for vacations, sick days, and spring break, you could take on a
quatrain a week and squeeze a year's worth of explication out of it.

Seriously, it's a long poem that inverts some of Edward Fitzgerald's themes,
has some contemporary references, and since it's about Olde Age, it might be
the sort of thing that would amuse and confuse the young'uns.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive