SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Enrique Cardiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2010 15:45:28 -0600
I can't say that we (In Albuquerque, New Mexico, US) have it figured out. But what has worked with me has been to be part of social movements outside of work and to pull in movement people to PH projects. Also, when working with community people I point out the health connections to their issues. It is very difficult as even many of the people who talk SDoH default back to a program or increasing services.

I am working on promoting SDoH all day long. The hardest part is getting a clinic to be SDoH advocates - so any good examples of that would help out. I also became the SDoH rep. for the NM Public Health Association in charge of trying to keep that in every conversation of the board.

We are a long way from doing well, but there are those who are trying. We just need to share successes so we can learn from each other. If I do well we will have health explicitly mentioned in a Sector Plan (neighborhood level urban planning document). Wish me luck!

Atentamente,

Enrique Cardiel
Urban Health Extension Coordinator
505-925-7393
"Social determinants of health are life-enhancing resources, such as food supply, housing, economic and social relationships, transportation, education, and health care, whose distribution across populations effectively determines length and quality of life.” - CDC