SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Janet Rhymes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 12:17:00 -0300
Not sure of your context--this relates to your needs if you are in a healthcare setting. The American Medical Association has developed a 360 degree patient communication assessment 'process.' It is quantitative and qualitative (surveys and focus groups) and examines 9 foundations including culture, laguage and literacy. It has been developed by a large group of professionals and has been tested and used in several settings. They see these 9 components as key to effective communication and the provision of ethical care.

You can find the tools here and use them yourself: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/physician-resources/medical-ethics/the-ethical-force-program/patient-centered-communication/organizational-assessment-resources.shtml

Consultants have also been trained to use the tools and can provide the follow up recommendations and training to effect change.

I have some other tools from other settings that I can share--on the road now but will post when I return.

Cheers

Janet

Janet Rhymes MA
Logical Minds Consulting
training . facilitation . strategic projects
Nova Scotia CANADA