Sender:
From:
James E Caron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:10:35 -1000
Fitz-Hugh Ludlow spent time in San Francisco in 1863 and wrote for
various local papers, including the Golden Era, a literary weekly.
In an article published in the Era in December of 1863 (I believe),
Ludlow wrote a farewell that commented on writers, praising Mark
Twain and dubbing him the Washoe Giant.

No doubt they met, but my guess is the stimulant of choice was alcohol,
maybe champagne if Joe Lawrence of the Era was buying.