Sender:
From:
Wesley Britton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 19:42:46 -0400
I can not vouch for the Kaplan citation these days--last time I looked at
that article, it was about 15 years ago. I do recall the article being
difficult to find--long before the easier days of online connections. But it
was far from the only source I looked at.

Anyway, I'm not sure I said MT had a consistent dislike of
Whitman--providing money to keep the "splendid old soul" may be ironic but
if distaste ruled MT's thoughts, why send the cash? I did read the "Walt
Whitman Controversy," and if memory serves, he did have strong feelings
about Whitman's sexual material. What I thought I suggested, drawing from my
sources, was that Twain was largely disinterested in Whitman. And vice
versa. References to Whitman are so infrequent and brief in letters, notes,
etc., that it seems Whitman didn't spend much time on Twain's radar screen,
one way or the other. If new material has cropped up since I wrote that
short entry, I'd be interested. But I recall going over everything I could
find and uncovering precious little.

Wes Britton