Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 12:55:42 -0700
From:
Jerry Vorpahl <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
You may recall in the 70th. Birthday speech, he said he always smokes in be
and, wakes up in the night two or three times, never missing that
opportunity to smoke. He "never bought cigars with life belts around them,"
only cheap cigars at $7 a barrel, "including the barrel." I've yet to find a
referance to the exact number he puffed, but I doubt anyone cared what he
smelled like (remember they only washed shirts once a month and changed
collars weekly.) I remember my grandfather smoking pipes and cigars
constantly, blowing smoke in our ears to cure an ache and no one seemed to
mind. How tolerances change.

JerryV