Sender:
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 2010 21:58:27 -0700
A friend sent this to me.  It is always interesting to see where Mark Twain
pops up.
Arianne Laidlaw

*Subscribe to Granta today* <http://www.granta.com/Subscribe>
  [image: Granta] <http://www.granta.com/>

   <http://www.granta.com/Magazine/111>

<http://www.granta.com/Magazine/111>

   - 15 July 2010

 A Voice from the Vault
ShareThis

   - comments (1)<http://www.granta.com/Online-Only/A-Voice-from-the-Vault#comments>

 Granta *111: Going Back* <http://www.granta.com/Magazine/111>*, published
in the UK today, contains the first extract of Mark Twain’s forthcoming
autobiography, which he forbade anyone to publish for a hundred years after
his death. Benjamin Griffin, associate editor at the Mark Twain Project,
reflects here on work once considered un-editable, and some advice the team
has had from the great man himself...*

Fixing the ‘final form’ of a long-dead author’s intentions is a tricky
business at the best of times; but in the case of the *Autobiography of Mark
Twain*, we’re dealing with a text which has actually been declared
un-editable by one critic. I like to think the Mark Twain Project edition
has shown it isn’t so; but there was *some* justification behind that
sceptic’s panic.

Samuel Clemens composed things he said were ‘for the autobiography’,
fitfully, over a period of more than thirty years before hitting on ‘The
Final (& Right) Plan.’ So there is this large body of material that didn’t
make it into his ‘final plan’. The editors here at the Project had the
option of excluding these rejected first shots altogether, in the name of
final authorial intention. But among these pieces are some of Clemens’s most
striking writings on his youth; moreover, what Clemens ended up rejecting
sheds light on the evolution of his ‘Final’ plan. And so we decided to
print, preliminarily, everything that Clemens had intended, *at some time*,
for his autobiography.

That ‘Final’ autobiography has never before been printed in anything like
its true form – past editors having abridged and reshuffled it to suit their
own whims. Clemens’s approach – quite modernist, considering he was born in
1835 – is a ‘stream-of-consciousness’ method, in which you

wander at your free will all over your life; talk only about the thing which
interests you for the moment; drop it the moment its interest threatens to
pale, and turn your talk upon the new and more interesting thing that has
intruded itself into your mind meantime… In this way you have the vivid
things of the present to make a contrast with memories of like things in the
past, and these contrasts have a charm which is all their own.

To encourage spontaneity and caprice, Clemens dictated rather than wrote the
bulk of the *Autobiography*. A stenographer took down his words in
shorthand, which she later expanded and typed out.

That fact alone, of this oral stage of transmission, poses a challenge
literary editors haven’t often tackled. The shorthand record (it is lost)
gave Clemens’s words only as very abbreviated signs, and sometimes the
stenographer’s subsequent re-expansions were understandably mistaken. For
example, she produced ‘occasion’ where Clemens said ‘contagion’; ‘boring’
instead of ‘bearing’; and (endearingly?) ‘cocoa’ where he said ‘coca.’
Clemens later corrected these mis-expansions – but how many did he miss?

He marked the typed text, revising it sometimes quite heavily, and it was
typed again from the corrected pages; and these he revised still further.
It’s here that another big question arises. While working on the book,
Clemens was serializing excerpts in the *North American Review*.
Consequently, his revisions may stem from more than one motive. Some look
like aesthetic improvements; others are ‘softenings’, intended to disguise
the names of living persons, blunt the edge of the satire, or expunge risqué