Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2017 15:12:53 -0600
7bit
From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Twain did indeed alter his published texts for public readings: He added
back words that had been censored in print. In one case, a person he called
an "insect" in one of his stories (in print) he called an "ass" when
speaking on stage, restoring the original text.

As for the word in question (which I'm not spelling out here only because
some email filters will snag it) let's remember what Dick Gregory said: To
paraphrase Gregory, he said Twain tossed the word up in the air and Gregory
caught it used it as the title of his autobiography. If you need further
insights into the word, read Randall Kennedy's book of that same title. I
strongly recommend the illustrated edition.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive