Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:07:25 -0500
Regarding the wording in Twain's "The Treaty with China" from
_New York Tribune_, 4 August 1868 -- this item does not fall
into the same category as the others in the previous list.  Twain's
quote contained the correct spelling:

"The idea of making negroes citizens of the United States was startling
and disagreeable to me, but I have become reconciled to it; and being
reconciled to it, and the ice being broken and the principle established,
I am ready now for all comers. The idea of seeing a Chinaman a citizen of
the United States would have been almost appalling to me a few years ago,
but I suppose I can live through it now."

Barb