From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2021 00:17:42 -0700
Of course Sam Clemens was a racist.  He was also a Darwinist in the best
tradition of Herbert Spenser. Darwinism, which has little to do with
Charles Darwin, provides the “scientific” underpining for racist
beliefs.  The “survival of the fittest” paradigm leads directly to the
imperialism Sam eventually came to criticize.  It is also the
justification for liebensraum. We see in Clemens through the years
increasing enlightenment – never fully attained. Any difficulties
Clemens may have had with “Blacks” is dwarfed by his attitude towards
aboriginal peoples, especially the American Indian.  I’ve been reading
Kerry Driscoll’s book, Mark Twain Among the Indians and other Indigenous
Peoples.  She paints an amazingly detailed picture of Sam continually
running into the contradictions and difficulties that come from his
racist/darwinist mindset. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn may give us a
glimpse of some emerging enlightenment within Mark Twain but it would
still be many years yet for him to accept the idea that “Indigenous
People” may in fact be human.  Sam was willing to accept the American
negro – because he grew up with them.  I doubt he would have wanted his
daughters to marry one, though. For myself, I believe that anyone who
thinks “races“ are anything more than cultural constructs is a racist.
Thinking that the “other” is perhaps treated unfairly does not excuse a
person – they are still racist.