From:
Glen Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 10:17:46 -0500
Yesterday. Victor Doyno launched the public launch of the
new edition of Huck with an appearance at the Smithsonian
here in Washington.  An interesting talk, with good examples
of revisions and why MT might have made them.

For the rest, Doyno's take on HF for the general audience
might have struck Sam as sentimental:  Huck now is transcending
not just racism but also child abuse and extreme poverty.  But
there were interesting questions and clear signs (if we needed
them) that Huck is still a draw.

And oh yes, the new edition was on sale in the lobby, at 10%
off if you're a Smithsonian Associate.  This is both cheaper
and more dignified than removing it from a hotel mini-bar.

I heard one man ask if the author would be autographing copies
(he was kidding), only to get an astonished look on his face
when the answer was yes.  The autographer was Doyno, of course.
Another sign of the death of the author and the rise of the critic.

Glen Johnson
Catholic Univ.