From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2022 12:05:48 -0700
Chivalry, an important topic in several of Twain's books but subject to
some major misuse in recent "news".  I was prompt to purchase a book for
my Kindle on the history of Chivalry and was struck by a couple of
Twainian moments.  "The rise of the knight (miles in the Latin sources)
has been carefully tracked by historians."  I was reminded of the heroic
character in the Price and the Pauper.  Could there be some connection
with Twain's choice of names for Miles?

"A knight should not kill an unarmed foe, two knights should not attack
one, and knightly prisoners should be held with dignity, released on
parole and ransomed in accordance with their means."  This seems in
contradiction to some of th action in A Connecticut Yankee.

Just a couple of thoughts....