From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2022 11:09:26 -0700
The problem here is that the St. Louis, Vandalia and Terre Haute
Railroad was not complete until 1870.  The only line east of St. Louis,
that I know of, was the Ohio and Mississippi, completed in 1857.  It
will take some untangling of railroad history to determine what the
actual lines were at the time of Sam's travel back to St. Louis but I
think there were connections between Columbus and Cincinnati, probably
through Dayton.  A northern route does not appear to be possible.