From:
Dave Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2022 19:22:03 -0400
I have always thought of AHF as taking place, loosely, in 1849 or 1850.
When SLC himself was 14-15.

The Fugitive Slave Act was passed in 1850, as part of the compromise(s) of
1850.

The Dred Scott decision had not yet been rendered. Dred Scott's suit (for
his freedom) was filed in 1853.

(These real world events/framing are not mentioned in the text of the
novel, although the ability of "free blacks" to vote in Ohio is. )

https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/2021/06/black-voting-power-in-pre-civil-war-ohio-helped-elect-a-governor-and-president-van-gosse.html