From:
"Roger W. Durrett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 11:35:38 -0400
---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Re: Mark's Voice
Date:    97-08-11 11:28:38 EDT
From:    RWDTwain
To:      [log in to unmask]

Paul:

I have heard from time to time that Twain made a recording of some of
his work for Thomas Edison -- a wax cylinder that was lost forever in
a laboratory fire, circa 1914.

(So, for an account of how Twain sounded I think you'll have to go to
contemporary reviews of his lectures or rely on descriptions found in
Howells_My Mark Twain_ , Paine's _Biography_, or perhaps best of all
Fred Lorch's _The Trouble Begins at 8_.

I will try to hunt up exact details if I can.  Meanwhile,  I'm sure our
colleagues on the forum will help you.

There has also been some apparent confusion concerning a recording
that a prominent 19th century thespian -- William Gillette -- made of
some of Twain's writings.  This recording may have survived, prompting
folks who heard it to believe they were hearing the author's voice, and
not the actor's.

Interesting aside, perhaps,...I had the good fortune to meet Helen Hayes
before she passed away.  As a young actress she had an opportunity to
work with William Gillette, and said, during our few minutes together,
"Oh, the stories he used to tell about Mr. Clemens!"

I never got to hear the stories, sad to say.  One's imagination takes wings.
If I'd been a tenth the reporter Twain was, I would have pressed the issue,
but our time together was too brief.  So, I'll add to your query about
Twain's
voice...anyone on the Forum have any tales of Gillette and Clemens, or of
the recordings one or both made?

Best regards,

Roger Durrett