From:
Ryota Iijima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 06:58:29 +0900
I've been a subscriber to Mark Twain Forum since 1995, though I'm a novice
among the MT scholars in Japan.

A few years ago, some Japanese MT experts founded the Japan Mark Twain
Society.  When they announced the schedule of their first meeting, I became
a member of the society, and felt that someone had to make it known to this
list.  I asked one of the founders, whose name was mentioned in Fishkin's
article, if it was OK for me to do that.  But, surprisingly, she didn't
like it.  She said it was too early and accused me of trying to get ahead
of the pack and showing off.  Of course it didn't have to be me.  I hope it
was her misunderstanding.  I waited several days for some other Japanese to
send the news to the list, but no one did.  So I posted the date and the
place of the first meeting.  A few people showed me their gratitude.

My enthusiasm decreased anyway.  I didn't post about that Japanese book on
_Huck Finn_, so as not to offend anyone concerned with that book.

The Society then started a Web cite at
<http://web.kyoto-inet.or.jp/people/hikoyama/>.  I haven't given the
information about it to this list, because all the information posted there
was, and is, in Japanese.

Most of the Japanese mentioned in Fishkin's article are professors at
colleges or universities, with free access to the Internet.  They do
word-process a lot.  I have been wondering why most of them haven't joined
this forum.

I have some other reasons why I've been lazy.  I will write about it later.

Regards

Ryota Iijima