From:
David H Fears <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:19:43 EDT
"Incorrect language?" What _is_ language if not a tool for meaning? Do we
understand Huck's meaning? Doesn't his "incorrect language" bring him to
life
on the page? And, isn't it CHARACTER (the likes of Huck, Captain Ahab,  Nick
Adams, Philip Marlowe, etc.) that sets great literature apart? For  it's
character we recall long after plot fades from our memory. Huck's POV is  a
major
reason the novel is considered one of, if not _the_ best American  work.

I'm reminded of Sam's response to the Boston girl's letter about such
humbugs, as "incorrect language." I dare say, if Sam Clemens had suffered
what  has
been, and sadly still is, much of the warped "Current-Traditional"
composition instruction, with the wrist-cutting about mechanics and
"incorrect
language," his writing wouldn't be worth a damn. There wouldn't be any
"controversy"
but no good literature, either--merely reams of flawless, correct  language

And if _Huck Finn_ sets a bad example for our kiddies, by means  let's keep
them away from Shakespeare, else they commit suicide on a balcony as  a
teen;
and especially prevent them from reading the  Bible--such sin, gore and
violence!

Either that or we can teach the little bastards what lessons lie at the
heart of these stories--but perhaps that'd be too much work for the
political-correct crowd. The only "controversy" surrounding Sam's greatest
work  that I can
see is it faces increasing stupidity by leatherheads and  tinkers who want
sanitize the voice right out of it. I'd think anyone  in this group knows
how
Mr. Clemens would react to such thinking--for one,  he'd be grateful for the
increased sales such drivel would bring, even as he'd  privately espouse
that
such ignoramuses be disemboweled, or perhaps be  force-fed bushels of Jane
Austen's pap.

David H Fears