From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:45:44 -0500
Ah, yes, Florence!  Fierenze!

Be sure to go down and see the building where the Brownings lived, right
across from the Palazzo Pitti--still well marked.  In fact, there are so
many literary sites that it is hard to list them all.  There are a couple of
little guides to the literary sites there.  Also worth noticing is the
foreign graveyard, which is just north of centro.  It is bounded by the city
highway, on a sort of island.

A cool book to read while there is INDIAN SUMMER -- a rather underrated gem
by Howells.  You can actually walk the same streets and see the same sites
that the narrator does.  The book opens oddly, with him sitting on the Ponte
Vecchio, staring at the water and the Uffizi, and longing to be back in
Indiana!  pretty funny stuff.  (I cannot say that I ever once wished to be
back in Indiana, while in Italy.)

Harold K. Bush
Saint Louis University