From:
Mike Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2007 17:38:44 -0600
I'm currently teaching HF to my AP juniors, and one of them has loaned me a copy that she found at her house.  It's published by the Saalfield Publishing Co. (1941) w/ illustrations by a Henry Muheim.  I know there have been dozens of abridged editions of Huck Finn published, but the choices made by this company seem rather arbitrary (for instance, the Shepherdson/Grangerford feud is omitted entirely) considering that despite the editing the book still includes the use of the word 'nigger.'

Anyone happen to know anything about this edition and why, particularly, the feud chapters were taken out?  Or, any reasonable guesses?

Mike Williams