From:
David H Fears <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 12:57:54 EST
Yes, and how would you contrast it with Leah Strong's excellent bio?

Now, if someone (I'm tied up till 2011) will just do justice to a bio on  Joe
Goodman, I can die happy. The only thing out there is a 1936 masters thesis
at Columbia, "Joe Goodman, The Man Who Made Mark Twain," which is quite a
come-on title, by Eva Adams. Goodman was quite the editor and man...since
beginning my 3-volume work, I've come across quite a few things involving him,
including a possible affair or some sort of hankypank with Kitty Barstow, wife  of
Wm. H. Barstow. I'm currently in 1889 when Sam enlisted Goodman to sell
speculation in the Paige typesetter.

Later Goodman broke the code for some Mayan languages--overall he lived a
full life, including growing grapes in Fresno on money given by the silver
magnate of the Comstock Lode, John Mackay (Mackey).

If no bio surfaces by the end of my 3rd volume, I'll consider at least an
article on the man. He did give Sam a great boost at a very low point, although
to say he made MT is a stretch.

I'm looking forward to adding your book on the man Sam called "the
handsomest man that ever lived" [remarks recorded in the _Courant_ on May 29,  1888 on
a May 28 reception honoring Joe on his 50th birthday  (the 27), when the
church gave him the deed to his house and money for  improvements].

David H Fears
Mark Twain Day By Day