From:
John Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2009 16:03:47 -0400
I'm sure that many of you read the comic strip "Non Sequitur" this past
Sunday, but for those who did not, I direct attention to that installment,
which is essentially the plot of the unfinished and untitled story by Mark
Twain labeled "Statement of the Edwardses" by Bigelow Paine but best
known by Bernard DeVoto's title, "The Great Dark."  One might say that the
strip is a microcosm of that microcosm, people trapped in water under a
microscope being studied by larger creatures.  I do wish MT had filled the
space between what he left us and what he suggested as a possible ending.

John H. Davis, Ph.D.
Professor of English
Department of Language and Literature
Chowan University