From:
Tony Verhulst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2009 19:22:11 -0400
Kevin. Mac Donnell wrote:

> My own experience might be instructive (after all, I was once a student who
> was never asked about the relevance of the courses that I took, or why I
> took them). I earned my English degree in the early 70s, and quickly
> realized my only job prospects were low-paying teaching positions. .....

I dare say that my professional interests differ radically from most
members of this list. My undergraduate degree is in biology (1970) and
like Kevin, discovered that the jobs available were of the low paying
sort. I knew that going in, but I really liked biology and still do. My
formal education ended with an MS in Computer Science and I'm now in an
enviable position (I think) where I go to work to have fun and they pay
me real money to do it.

But, I did get turned on to Twain in a college lit class. Like most of
us, I had read AHF in high school and was (then) not particularly
impressed. But now I was reading Letters from the Earth - and was
impressed and developed an interest in MT that has not wavered in these
last 40 years.

An interesting article from an adjunct English professor was published
in The Atlantic not too long ago and I think that many here will find it
worth the read:
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200806/college

In any case, as Dr Chadwick-Joshua said a few years ago, this is a list
for Twain scholars and I'll now return to lurk mode.

Tony
P.S. despite the appearance, the email address is legitimate.