From:
Ben Wise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:03:31 -0400
For what it's worth, in trying to track down the "bass-ackwards"
reference, I came upon a collection of Lincoln's humorous writings,
constituting Chap. 1 in the book, Humor in the White House by Arthur
A. Sloane, partlally avalable online at Google books:
http://books.google.com/books?id=acxcOfge46kC&printsec=frontcover&dq=humor+in+the+white+house&hl=en&ei=WPVSTLHmBsOAlAeet636BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

(the URL is almost as long as the chapter excerpt - sorry).  It was
quite refreshing to me to see how full of p*ss and v****gar old Abe
was!

Ben