From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:54:55 -0600
Yes, some subscription publishers printed leaflets that gave explicit
instructions on how to make a sale, what so say and when to say it, etc.
There are several good books on subscription publishing but I don't recall
off the top of my head which ones have citations to these instructional
leaflets. Ham Hill's MARK TWAIN AND ELISHA BLISS and the Michael Zinman
catalogue of prospectuses would be two good places to start looking. There
are also several accounts by subscription agents that are informative, and I
can supply those citations if you like.

For a comic modern take on door-to-door bookselling, check out that old
episode of the TV show `Taxi' where poor drug-addled Jim tries a new career
and shows up at a lady's front door with a large box. He throws a huge clod
of dirt on her floor and begins his pitch on how he has the solution to
cleaning up this mess. Then he opens his big box and suddenly remembers that
he's selling encyclopedias.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books