From:
Heather Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2012 21:41:20 +0000
Hi Graham
Thanks for letting us all know the outcome of our attempts to save the
Kensal Rise library and the Dollis Hill House. It was a sad business. I am a
librarian as well as a "Twainiac" so I felt a double blow. I have just
retired  from the Mark Twain Library in Redding, Connecticut, which Mark
Twain himself established in 1908 ; a library much beloved by the community
it serves.
Perhaps an apt memorial could be taken from a letter Twain wrote to the
Millicent Rogers Library in 1894, "A public library is the most enduring of
memorials, the truest monument for the preservation of an event or a name or
an affection; for it, and it alone, is respected by wars and revolutions,
and survives them".
Thanks for all your efforts in this battle; the war has not been lost.
Heather Morgan.