From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 10:49:33 -0500
People have been declaring Twain a failure beginning with Brooks in 1920,
but Twain was a successful journalist, humorist, lecturer, story-teller,
after-dinner speaker, novelist, and satirist. And some of his poetry ain't
too bad, although I can't think of any that is really that good either.

But his novels, speeches, and even his humor are often structurally flawed.
Most of it works anyway, then and now, so I'm not hauling my library to the
town dump just yet.

Sometimes Twain deliberately plays with the structure of his works --I'm
reminded of that story where a young man is left sitting naked in a buggy
with a blanket over his knees. What happened next? Twain does not say.

Dare I mention an author other than Twain in this listserv? Hawthorne's THE
MARBLE FAUN is structurally tighter than any of his other novels
("romances") but his readers screamed at him for a better ending until he
actually wrote an additional chapter to shut them up. Nobody screamed at him
about the structures of THE SCARLET LETTER, THE HOUSE OF SEVEN GABLES, or
THE BLITHEDALE ROMANCE, FANSHAWE, or THE DOLLIVER ROMANCE, or DR GRIMSHAWE
(he was dead by the time it appeared so screaming would have done no good
anyway), and none of those is structurally as sound as THE MARBLE FAUN.
Clearly, structure is not the only measure of success.

I suppose Walter Scott was structurally sound, but Twain found fault with
his dialogue and characters. I suppose MOBY DICK is structurally sound but I
found myself wishing the damn whale would show up and put me out of my
misery. I suppose WAR AND PEACE is sound too, but the war was more fun than
the peace, and I'm a pacificst. Is Proust structurally sound? I have no
idea; I never got far enough along to find out. But I read Twain to the very
end, the silly hijinks of Tom Sawyer notwithstanding.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive