From:
Deidre Holmes <DHOLMES@UNC>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1992 18:33:00 EST
Daven,
     I think you have raised an interesting question.  I started out
my unit with such high hopes for changing students minds about today's
society, but I have found that even the brightest ones cannot relate to
Huck's world and the challenges he faces.
     I don't think it is a question of censorship as much as relevance
and appropriateness.  I think there are certainly lessons to be learned
from Huck Finn, but the students cannot see the forest for the trees.
I am not averse to using a different book to teach the same sort of
lessons.  However, the resources of most high schools are few and
bookroom shelves have many "dinosaurs."
     I think something like _To Kill A Mockingbird_ might be suitable;
unfortunately, that book is read in the middle schools nowadays.  Does
anyone have any suggestions for books that might be more relevant for
today's students?
     Right now as closure to my unit, I am showing the film _The Power
of One_ (1992), which has several distinct parallels to Huck Finn and
is a thought-provoking film in itself.  The students seem to be relating
to the concrete action in the film better than to Huck's journey.  It's
a great film--I have seen it now 7 times and I find something new each
time.
     But, enough.  If anyone else has further comments or suggestions
I would appreciate a response.

Deidre Holmes