From:
Richard Reineccius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 2010 14:14:21 -0700
Thanks from San Francisco for this reminder:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts."

Mark Twain
I guess the question is, who should we count among "our people"?
Who is YOUR "community"? Do they drink coffee, or TEA??

AND NOW FOR SOME CONTROVERSY ON BOOK BUYING:

Re: thisismarktwain.com

BEFORE YOU ORDER THE TWAIN BIO ONLINE FROM AMAZON, DO AN ASK.COM (or whatever) SEARCH (Amazon Tax) TO LEARN WHETHER AMAZON RESPECTS YOUR STATE'S LAW BY COLLECTING AND FORWARDING THE LEGAL SALES TAX, IF YOUR STATE HAS SALES TAX. MOST DO. (Amazon only pays in states where they have a warehouse for shipping, I think in only four of the 51).

Writing and most Arts Programs, Libraries, Schools - including junior colleges, Public Transit and lots of other good things are financed by sales taxes in most states. AMAZON.COM admits it failed to collect and pay $150 million on sales in California alone last year.

Richard R. - San Francisco

Order the book locally, if your favorite bookstore hasn't already gone under...