Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2023 21:34:04 -0400
8bit
From:
What you say here strikes me as more reasonable than what I first understood you to say about how you created your Twainbot.  You didn't input "all of Twain's personal data", you inputted 14 pages about his personality, but you don't say which 14 pages.

Now, I am genuinely intending this in a friendly way.  I would suggest you not use the term "subjective" as if inputting more data will make Twainbot any less "subjective".  Every single datum we have about Twain's personality is subjective.  No one alive today ever met him.  Probably few people have ever met people who knew him, although I'd bet there are such people, maybe on this list.  All we have are accounts from other people and from him, and every single one of those accounts is not only subjective, many of them were influenced by earlier subjective accounts.  Adding infinite subjectives together does not equal "objective", nor does it give any sort of truth, not about a long dead person's personality or writing talent or experience of life. Even that person alive in his prime had only a subjective idea of his own personality.  I think the best you can hope for in this pursuit is something that matches the expectations of experts or, as with Hal Holbrook's wonderful portrayal, a Twainbot so polished and convincing that it doesn't matter that it gives us a Twain who never really was.

Still, I think you've made an interesting start, you are modest about your progress so far, and I wish you well with your project.  I think it will be fascinating to see what you come up with.  But please remember that it's all subjective.  It's never gonna give you a "real" Twain, only a sentimentally convincing one.

Regards,

Carl