Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:22:03 -0700
From:
"Martin D. Zehr" <[log in to unmask]>
John Hay was one of the early entrusted readers of Twain's 1601 and one of its admirers, calling it a "masterpiece" and a "classic."  1601 was written in 1876 but not printed in its rare West Point edition until 1882.  In 1880 Hay wrote to a friend and art dealer named Gunn a series of letters about 1601, but apparently nothing came of that correspondence, at least insofar as publication is concerned.

martin zehr
kansas city