Sender:
From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 2011 14:28:00 -0500
OK, one gets a PINT of mercury from one's playmates and doesn't ask where
they got it.

I was maybe ten years old. My friends had the mercury in a glass beaker and
for some reason we poured it into a one-pint ice cream or milk carton. Then
we decided to pour it back into the beaker and that's when the mishap
occurred and they poured it all over my hands instead. Most of it beaded up
and fell off, but my hands were very dirty and some of it stuck and got
wiped into my blue jeans, hair, and anywhere else I thought to put them. We
had great fun trying to salvage what we could off the wood floor, hoping
that we could avoid creating a Environmental Superfund Cleanup Site.

One of my two friends with the mercury later became a drug addict but
recovered in his 40s, married, and is OK now. The other later went to prison
for murder, was released after 20 years, and died a few years ago after he
took himself off an organ transplant list because he thought himself
unworthy (he grew up with a father like Pap Finn and should have lit out
instead of killing anybody). I did light out, but never-the-less became a
bookseller and Mark Twain collector. It was a rough neighborhood, and is
still contaminated with about a half-pint of mercury and a few haunting
memories.

Enough Mercury. Back to Mark...

Kevin
@