From:
David H Fears <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2007 15:46:49 -0400
Bob Monroe, bless him, was white enough to send me a couple of transcribed
pages from the Berg Collection's copy of Sam's cash book that he kept from
1856-1883. While I am in the man's debt, I am still in a tree about the
1868-9 page he sent, and evidently Bob Hirst is on the next limb down, as well.
The reason is that none of the names or information on this page fit in with
any known Twain contacts. There are no places listed, though I know what Samwas doing for these periods and where he was. I will post the page in
question below, and should you be able to shed any light on these folks, whether
Cate, Gaylord, etc. you may step to the head of the class. I promise not to
smack you with the dunce cap, and invite any wild speculations you might
have, providing you pass a sobriety test.

I would call this someone else's cash book, save for the fact that the 1874page sent (as part of a sample) fits perfectly with names, vendors, etc.
that Sam used, reflecting costs of building the Farmington St. house. So,
here's the mystery page...any thoughts? And thanks again to Bob Monroe (no
telling how the columns might mix up in an email...if you'd like I can send you
the word file on these 2 sample pages:

---

<error: unreadable machine code submitted by sender--deleted>

---

David H Fears
Mark Twain Day by Day [MTDBD]