From:
David H Fears <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2008 16:46:09 -0500
This is for Michael McBride and others who may be interested in the KKK and
MT.

While reading Arthur G. Pettit's 1974 book, _Mark Twain & the South_, I ran
across a discussion of Sam's Mar. 4, 1869 article in the NY _Tribune_:?"The
White House Funeral." Petitt quotes from the article on pages 38-9,
including the lines "I smiled upon the Ku-Klux-Klan...I pardoned Jeff
Davis...I rescued the bones of the patriot martyr, Booth...I die content."
Pettit cites Budd's _MT, Social Philospher_ (1962) as publishing the article
in part.

If I come across more I will share, but as as been posted, the KKK of 1866
to 1870 or so was not the same group that started up in 1915. Victims
included whites and blacks. The Klan immediate postwar was mainly
ex-Confederate soldiers; the Klan was only one of several such active
groups, but at least this article shows Sam was well aware of its
activities.

David H Fears