From:
Rick Talbot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 19:31:10 -0500
People, people, listen. This situation is rife with possibilities for a
College Prank.

I say we get John to give us this kid's email address directly. Then each of
us writes him a conciliatory email message expressing our deep concern about
him , our grave group concern that he succeed in life and not give up on it,
all just because he's been kicked out of class for being a lazy inatendant
a*s.

Do you remember being voted out of that science project you had just because
you never showed up? I do. Well, maybe that's just me. But I didn't like
school, and then I went on to succeed.

Then, each of us should go on, in a heartfelt way, expressing our
willingness to help him "in any way we can."

It's important that all of these Mark Twain fogies each, uses the expression
"in any way we can." Cumulatively, this will drive this kid nuts. And years
from now, he will tell the story of his English 101 class and the strange
happenings that surrounded that event.

Can you imagine?

Do you remember any of your darn classes? I don't--well, maybe one.

You guys rarely respond to me---and I don't blame you. I'm nobody. But
wouldn't it be a hoot to flood this kid with unsolicited emails expressing
out deep concern for him?

It's just a deliciously funny thought.

Richard Talbot
Mark Twain Scholar