From:
Warren Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 2010 12:34:20 -0400
Hi Hal,

Glad to see you’re investigation of the dead. I trust you’re well.

An additional response to your query.

Mark Twain in Elmira, 1977, Robert D. Jerome & Herbert A. Wisbey, Jr., Elmira Quality Printers Inc., Appendix A, An Abridged Chronology of Mark Twain in Elmira, pages 194 & 195 show the following:
1871 March 18            Moved to Quarry Farm
1872 March 19            Olivia Susan, “Suzy”, Clemens born in Elmira
         June 2                Langdon Clemens buried in Woodlawn Cemetery
1874 June 8                Clara Langdon Clemens born at Quarry Farm
1880 July 26               Jane Lampton, “Jean”, Clemens born in Elmira

Critical Companion to Mark Twain, shows:
Page 641, Langdon died June 2, 1872, Harford, CT.
Page 816, Nook Farm, Clemens rented a house from Isabella Beecher Hooker in October 1871 and they moved into their house at 351 in September 1874.

Mark Twain A-Z, shows SLC living in Buffalo from 3 Feb. 1870 to Mar 1871, and staying in Elmira from 18 March to September while looking for a house in Hartford.

Elmira, Quarry Farm, Hartford. Birth and Census records may show other clues. I don’t know if anyone has ever obtained copies of these documents, or if everything has been recorded from oral history. As to Sam’s memory…

From these statements, we draw our conclusions. Choose the one which best fits your story.

In my genealogical research of the living and dead, where a person is born, where they died, where they were waked, where they were buried, and where the family lived when these events occurred can vary by the creativity of the writer or the recorder of events, who reported the events, and when it was reported. My father’s birth certificate was reported 10-days after the event by his father. The recorder wrote the ‘place of birth’ as “born at home” and ‘child’s name’ as “baby boy Brown”. There’s a high probability my grandfather new his son’s name and the city of birth.

Warren Brown
815.468.0635

“The mere knowledge of a fact is pale; but when you come to realize your fact, it takes on color. It is all the difference between hearing of a man being stabbed to the heart, and seeing it done.”
- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court – www.twainquotes.com