From:
Steve Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2010 10:24:32 -0400
I agree that the Chapters from My Autobiography -- the articles
published in 1906-1907 in the North American Review -- is a fourth
version of Twain's autobiography.  Whether one refers to the  articles
themselves as they appeared in NAR or to their compilation in book
form.   My copy in book form is the 1996 edition, part of the Oxford
Mark Twain series.  Reading it was my first introduction to Twain's
autobio, and I found it to be among the best of Twain's writings, which
is saying a lot.  In fact, I have heartily recommended it to friends as
one of the best "starting points" for getting into Twain.

The lengthy preface to the MTP edition does discuss the 1906-07 North
American Review review excerpts, how they came about, the selection
process, and even Twain's subsequent disappointment in that
publication's limited circulation.   I guess they view the NAR articles
as the "first" version of the Autobiography, rather than viewing the
presentation of those articles in book form as the "fourth".   Even so,
I commend Prof. Kiskis for his role in the  latter -- an enormous public
service and a welcome addition to anyone's Twain library .... not only
because these are the only excerpts Twain had published during his
lifetime, but also because, as I said before, they are such wonderful
excerpts.

-Steve Hoffman
Takoma Park MD