From:
Sandra Uetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 2010 12:12:51 -0800
Hal,

I don't think he read it.  I automatically suspect anyone who cites both Brooks and Fiedler as authoritative critics.  Furthermore, if he claims that only "5 per cent of the material in it is new" and that it "has been edited and published three times before," then he is crediting Paine and Neider, in particular, as reliable editors, which is further proof of his lack of insight.  And as one reads on, this lack becomes even more evident.  I offer just two examples: Gopnik claims that the Autobiography is "a disjointed and largely baffling bore" and that "scarcely a single sentence in the whole thousand pages stands out to be admired."  (emphasis added in order to point out that he missed the total number of pages, including the index which is 736.)  For these and many other reasons, I don't think he read it.

I am waiting for the issue that takes him on in the Letters to the Editor.

Did you know that we are part of the Mark Twain industry?

Industriously,
Sandra Uetz