From:
Peter Salwen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Salwen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2010 13:09:57 -0800

The arguments around the Autobiography put me in mind of the blind men and the
elephant. Some critics think the book is bloated, self-indulgent and—to the
extent that it’s been presented as GP entertainment—a fraud on the reading
public. We, on the other hand, think it is manna from Twain heaven, gloriously
prepared and offered (free!) by the world’s greatest literary chefs.

Thing is, we’re both right. Twain may have thought he was writing the
Autobiography for the great mass of his readers, but let’s face it: it was
edited and published for US, the handful of committed (and perhaps certifiable)
Twainiacs who, for whatever reason, want to get as close as we can to the
magical mystery that was Mark Twain. Hence the initial print order of only 7500
copies.

The book’s commercial success has little to do with what it actually is, I
think, and everything to do with Twain’s amazing charisma and salesmanship.  And
the “embargo,” which probably helped the Autobiography the way the Concord
Library censors helped Huckleberry Finn (“That will sell 25,000 copies for us,
sure”). And the implied promise (pretty silly, when you think about it) of
titillating revelations. And I’m sure the sex-toy canard some reporters thought
they found in Laura’s book didn’t hurt sales any.

But the book isn’t for everyone. I’ve been a Twain worshipper for around 55
years and I expect to remain so. I ordered the “Autobiography” the moment it
went on sale and it was the treat of the year when it arrived, like Sam Clemens,
two months early. It’s on the shelf with the other treasures from the Mark Twain
Project and kindred scholars and institutions, and I expect to spend many happy
hours rummaging between its covers. But even I have no plans to actually read
this seven-pound monster any time soon. My eyes can no longer cope with those
acres of 8- and 10-point Garamond, it’s too heavy to read in bed -- and anyway,
I’ve already heard most of the stories.

What the world is still waiting for, I suspect, and perhaps may get in another
five or six years (after vols. II and III come out), is an adroitly abridged
edition in a subway-friendly format.

Pete Salwen