From:
John Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2011 10:18:55 -0400
For one view, you might glance through my article, "Cowboys and Indians in
King Arthur's Court: Hank Morgan's Version of Manifest Destiny...," in *The
Mark Twain Annual *for 2007. For another, there is Kerry Driscoll's "'Man
Factories' and the 'White Indians' of Camelot: Re-Reading the Native Context
of *A Connecticut Yankee..."*  in the 2004 *Mark Twain Annual,* which is one
of several she has written on the subject.  For broader views of the
subject, see some of her other writings and what Joe Coulombe has to say in
his book, *Mark Twain and the American West *(2003).  For a much less recent
take, see Lynn Denton's article in *Mark Twain Journal* from the early
1970s.  The issue of his prejudice. lack of, or changed attitude may not be
entirely settled as yet.

--
John H. Davis, Ph.D.
Professor of English