From:
"Martin D. Zehr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2011 13:06:30 -0700
I don't think it represents "contempt/disinclination" as much as it does sheer, unadulterated laziness. Certainly, Twain's own attitudes toward the Chinese immigrants he had observed in California and Nevada could not, at the time (1872), be characterized by "contempt/disinclination," although, a few years prior, the evidence might support "indifference."  As someone who's had a particular interest in Twain and the Chinese, I long ago had a local Chinese-American faculty member look these over.  He assured me that they were, indeed, the equivalent of Chinese neologisms, although he also opined that they might be roughly translated as "Die, Yankee Dog!"  Take your pick.
martin zehr
kansas city, missouri