From:
Sharon McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2011 08:01:42 -0700
Kevin--what was the process in typesetting that would release a lot of lead dust
(was it powder before they melted it?)?

Carbuncles are caused by a staph infection around hair follicles as I understand
it, so they'd be unrelated, except perhaps to a weakened immune system, but that
doesn't seem to fit.

Re:  mercury --  I was curious about this, as my husband was given a ball of
mercury (quicksilver) to play with as a child.  He played with it in the
driveway as it got smaller and smaller, until it disappeared into one of the
cracks, but he has never seemed to take any harm from the experience.  No mental
disorders, unless you count marrying me.

So far as I understand, the mercury used in quartz milling was quicksilver,
which is elemental mercury
(http://nevada-outback-gems.com/Quartz_mining/stamp_mill.htm).  The processes
vary, but those I've heard of all seem unlikely to result in small droplets of
mercury going into the air to be inhaled.

According to PubMed, "elemental mercury is usually quite harmless if touched or
swallowed.  It is so thick and slippery that it usually falls off your skin or
out of your stomach without being absorbed.  Considerable damage can occur,
however, if mercury is made airborne into small, little droplets and breathed
into the lungs" --as in, never vacuum up a spill.  A good list of the different
types of mercury poisoning and their symptoms can be found here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0003126/

Elemental mercury poisoning can lead to difficulty breathing, permanent lung
damage, and death, but as Twain lived so long past the exposure, it seems likely
that the smoking and bronchitis are more closely related, and there were so many
other factors, environmental and infectious that could contribute to lung
issues. Pat, if you're online, interested, and it wouldn't give away too much of
your new work, maybe you'd weigh in?

Cheers,
Sharon